BUYING ONLINE VS IN-STORE
If you’ve decided which vacuum cleaner you want, or shortlisted some options, you’re a step closer to purchasing. Now, you just need to price up different retailers, and decide whether you’re buying online or in-store.
WHERE TO BUY
Both high street and online stores offer a wide selection of models, so you’ll probably find yourself with multiple options. It may feel easier to decide between machines when shopping in person, but you can more easily find out other people’s opinions when researching online.
• More convenient – you can order from the comfort of your own home and not worry about transporting your item
• A larger choice of models
• Easier to compare prices
• You can filter your search by specific factors such as battery life
• Product reviews are available
• You can read all about the features in product descriptions
• You can’t get a feel for the physical product
• You may have to pay for delivery
• You won’t be able to get advice from a salesperson
• Delivery may take several days or more – a drawback if your previous vacuum cleaner has broken
• Arranging a return or solving issues can be a hassle
• You may be allowed to feel the vacuum’s weight, manoeuvre it around, or even switch it on to hear how loud it is and test the floorhead
• Shop staff can answer your questions
• Easier to return or seek advice if you have an issue
• No additional delivery charges or waiting for it to arrive
• You can see if the design and size are right for you before buying
You may be allowed to feel the vacuum’s weight, manoeuvre it around, or even switch it on to hear how loud it is and test the floorhead.
• You’ll have to make the journey to a store, and transport the item home
• Limited to nearby retailers, so you may have a smaller selection of models
• Not as easy to compare prices
• You’ll need to depend on online research for reviews
OTHER TIPS AND TRICKS
Comparing prices online is much easier than doing it in-store. If you have the flexibility to order either way, it’s worth doing both. Some stores let you check prices and product stock online before you visit, saving you a wasted trip. You might also be able to click and collect, and reserve your item online for in-store collection.
CHECK THE REVIEWS
Online reviews can give you an idea of a vacuum cleaner’s true performance. While it’s important that you take them with a pinch of salt, if there are a high number of reviews which sound genuine, they can help you make a decision.
Comparing prices online is much easier than doing it in store. If you have the flexibility to order either way, it’s worth doing both.
Many vacuum manufacturers provide a guarantee as standard, covering any faults which arise within one to five years of purchase. Some retailers offer the opportunity to extend it, or also cover accidental damage. The choice of an extended warranty may affect where you decide to buy your vacuum cleaner.