To celebrate the launch of the Fearne by Swan kitchenware range, we have teamed up with Fearne Cotton to create this delicious recipe.
Warm up on a wet and windy autumn day with this Sweet Potato Soup with Cumin Fried Chickpeas.
The full recipe can be found below or download the recipe card for a printable version.
Shop the Fearne by Swan range here.
Sweet Potato Soup with Cumin Fried Chickpeas
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle over
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 200ml coconut milk
- 800ml vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 200g chickpeas
- Handful of flat leaf parsley leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and sweat for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato, garlic, red chilli and ground coriander and cumin. Sweat for a further 3 minutes, to release the flavour of the garlic. Add the coconut milk and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat and cook for a few minutes, until a shade darker and aromatic. Place the chickpeas in a pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry for a few minutes over a high heat until they begin to crisp up a little and take on a tiny bit of colour. Remove to a bowl and combine together with the cumin seeds, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Remove the soup from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then blitz it in a blender or food processor until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with a spoonful of the cumin chickpeas in the centre and scatter over the parsley.